Fairbanks Summer Trails Challenge 2022
The 2022 Summer Trails Challenge is available June 20 - September 30!
Please register below (FREE!) if you plan on participating in the 2022 Summer Trails Challenge.
6/22/2022 UPDATE: Signs #1-11 are installed. Signs #12-16 are being installed through 6/30/2022.
2022 Summer Trails Challenge Trail List:
1. Chena River Bike Path - Pioneer Park
2. Sandpiper Trail - Tanana Lakes Recreation Area
3. Island Trail - Tanana Lakes Recreation Area
4. Slough Loop - Chena Lake Recreation Area
5. Chena Lake Bike Path - Chena Lake Recreation Area
6. Outhouse Loop Cutoff - Birch Hill Recreation Area
7. Medevac - Birch Hill Recreation Area
8. After Hours Trail - Skyline Ridge Park
9. Goldstream Connector - Skyline Ridge Park
10. Skarland 6 Mile Trail - University of Alaska Fairbanks
11. Equinox Out-and-Back Trail - Ester Dome **
12. Wickersham Dome Summit Trail - White Mountains National Recreation Area
13. Mastodon Trail - Chena River State Recreation Area
14. Angel Creek Hillside Trail - Chena River State Recreation Area **
15. Mike Kelly Trail - Tanana Valley State Forest/Two Rivers **
16. Pinnell Mountain Trail - Eagle Summit, Steese National Conservation Area
All other trails are Non-Motorized Multi-Use
What is the Trails Challenge?
The Fairbanks Trails Challenge is an all-ages, all-abilities, outdoor scavenger hunt of epic proportions! The Trails Challenge is designed to get you out with your friends and family to explore our wonderful local trails, both new and familiar. Each summer and winter season, Parks Department staff temporarily installs special signs in secret locations along a dozen or so local trails. While the signs are up, we invite everyone to visit the trails and try and find the signs. Along the way we hope you have a chance to learn new skills, see new places, and make positive memories.
How do you take the Trails Challenge?
Anyone is allowed to participate in the search. When you find a sign, it's fun to prove you made it by taking a “selfie” photo with the sign and posting it on social media with the hashtag “#FNSBTrails." And of course, leave the sign to be found by the next trail challenge participant. Participants who find AT LEAST TEN signs during the event can win prizes from local sponsors and the coveted Trailblazer Award. Participants under the age of ten can find at least five signs to win the Junior Trailblazer Award! Whether you find one or find them all, challenge yourself to get outside and enjoy nature!
PHOTOS ARE NO LONGER REQUIRED FOR CREDIT- But they're still really fun! For official credit to earn the Trailblazer Award, fill out the checklist at the end of the season.
When can we take the Trails Challenge?
The Trails Office hosts two Fairbanks Trails Challenge events each year: a Winter Trails Challenge and a Summer Trails Challenge. The Winter Trails Challenge starts roughly in mid-December and lasts through March. Start and end dates fluctuate depending on weather and trail conditions. The signs stay in place for the season then are removed to be placed in new and different locations for the next challenge. So each season you are challenged to have a new adventure!
TRAILS CHALLENGE QUESTIONS?
Send us an email at email@example.com or call 907-459-7401. Check the Trails Office webpage for MAPS and TRAILS INFORMATION! Follow the FNSB Parks & Recreation Facebook Page for updates.