Fairbanks North Star Borough Parks & Recreation
Skip to nav
Fairbanks Summer Trails Challenge 2023
The 2023 Summer Trails Challenge is available June 20 - September 30!
Find and download the Summer Trail Guide HERE!
Please register below (FREE!) if you plan on participating in the 2023 Summer Trails Challenge.
Once you find your signs, complete this online checklist by October 15, 2023 to claim your prize and bragging rights!
TRAILBLAZER COMPLETION CHECKLIST
2023 Summer Trails Challenge Trail List:
1. Crooked Creek & Whiskey Railroad - Pioneer Park
2. South Davis "Dog Walk Loop" Trail - South Davis Dog Park
3. Chena River Bike Path - Carlson Center/Dog Park Area
4. Flicker Trail - Tanana Lakes Recreation Area (from the Cushman Trail Parking)
5. Farm Road Trail - Creamer's Field Trails (from Joy Community Center)
6. South Tower - Birch Hill Recreation Area
7. Warm Up Loop - Birch Hill Recreation Area
8. Nature Trail - Chena Lake Recreation Area
9. Island Trail - Chena Lake Recreation Area
10. Skyline Ridge Trail - Skyline Ridge Park
11. 100 Mile Loop - Isberg Recreation Area**
12. Karl Reishus Trail - UAF North Campus Trail
13. Skarland 6 Mile Trail - UAF North Campus Trail
14. Granite Tors - Chena River State Recreation Area
15. Upper Chena Dome Trail - Chena River State Recreation Area
16. Table Top Mountain Trail - White Mountains Recreation Area
17. Circle Fairbanks Trail - Steese Highway Milepost 86
18. Stiles Creek Trail - Chena River State Recreation Area**
19. Quartz Creek Trail - White Mountains Recreation Area**
20. Pipeline Trail - BLM Cold Foot
All other trails are Non-Motorized Multi-Use
What is the Trails Challenge?
The Fairbanks Trails Challenge is an all-ages, all-abilities, outdoor scavenger hunt of epic proportions! The Trails Challenge is designed to get you out with your friends and family to explore our wonderful local trails, both new and familiar. Each summer and winter season, Parks Department staff temporarily installs special signs in secret locations along a dozen or so local trails. While the signs are up, we invite everyone to visit the trails and try and find the signs. Along the way we hope you have a chance to learn new skills, see new places, and make positive memories.
How do you take the Trails Challenge?
Anyone is allowed to participate in the search. When you find a sign, it's fun to prove you made it by taking a “selfie” photo with the sign and posting it on social media with the hashtag “#FNSBTrails." And of course, leave the sign to be found by the next trail challenge participant. Participants who find AT LEAST TEN signs during the event can win prizes from local sponsors and the coveted Trailblazer Award. Participants under the age of ten can find at least five signs to win the Junior Trailblazer Award! Whether you find one or find them all, challenge yourself to get outside and enjoy nature!
PHOTOS ARE NO LONGER REQUIRED FOR CREDIT- But they're still really fun! For official credit to earn the Trailblazer Award, fill out the checklist at the end of the season.
When can we take the Trails Challenge?
The Trails Office hosts two Fairbanks Trails Challenge events each year: a Winter Trails Challenge and a Summer Trails Challenge. The Winter Trails Challenge starts roughly in mid-December and lasts through March. Start and end dates fluctuate depending on weather and trail conditions. The signs stay in place for the season then are removed to be placed in new and different locations for the next challenge. So each season you are challenged to have a new adventure!
TRAILS CHALLENGE QUESTIONS?
Send us an email at email@example.com or call 907-459-1070. Check the Trails Office webpage for MAPS and TRAILS INFORMATION! Follow the FNSB Parks & Recreation Facebook Page for updates.