Fairbanks North Star Borough Parks & Recreation
Skip to nav
Chena Lake Recreation Area Rules
Violation or failure to comply with of any of these facility rules may result in restricted access to the facility or more serious action, up to and including police action.
- Facility Hours: The entrance station and Park are open 24 hours/7 days a week during the summer season (typically Memorial Day through Labor Day). Quiet Hours are observed from 10:00 p.m.-6:00 a.m. and the Swim Beach and Lake Park day use areas are closed for reservation or use during that time.
- Please swim only in designated swimming areas because of extremely cold water conditions. Rules for the swimming beach are posted. Do not swim immediately after meals and do not become over-exerted while swimming. There is no lifeguards’ on-duty, - swimming is AT YOUR OWN RISK.
- No dogs are allowed in the swimming beach area. In other areas, dogs must be kept on a leash, not to exceed six feet.
- No glass bottles are allowed in the swimming area. The Lake Park Day Use Area (Including the swim beach areas, Pavilion 1 & 2, playground, horseshoe pit, basketball and 3 volleyball courts) is closed to the public at 10:00 p.m.
- Special use permits are coordinated through the Park Manager for special activities, group gatherings, spectator attractions, etc.
- Visitors must leave the facility clean and orderly.
- The Lake is closed to all aircraft, motorized boats and all other motorized watercraft.
- Music can only be played at a moderate volume. If the volume of the music impacts the enjoyment of the park by others, you will be asked to turn the volume down.
- Parking is allowed in designated spots only.
- No boats are to be within the buoys marking the swimming beach area.
- Everyone on board a watercraft within the recreation area must wear a personal flotation device at all times. PFD’s are available for rent at the boat rental building by the lake boat ramp.
- No person shall knowingly emit a false drowning alarm.
- Fires are to be in designated sites only. Do not leave a fire unattended. Portable barbecue grills are allowed.
- No fireworks are allowed in the Park.
- The loading or discharge of firearms, bows or crossbows, are prohibited for public safety reasons anywhere within the recreation area south of the Chena River and west of the Moose Creek Dike. An Alaska Sport Fishing License is required to fish in the Park.
- The setting of a steel trap or snare is prohibited for public safety reasons anywhere within 100 feet of a designated trail or roadway.
- Motor-driven scooters and cycles must conform to state licensing laws and their use will be confined to developed roadways. ATV usage in the Park is not allowed from May 1st until October 1st.
- Wood will be offered for sale at the entrance station. Cutting of timber or brush is prohibited at all times. Chain saws are not allowed in the Park.
- All local, state and federal laws apply within the Park.
- Police emergency services are provided by the Alaska State Troopers. In an emergency, dial ‘911’. No coin is necessary to dial an emergency number. For emergencies and/or for general Park information, call 488-1655.