Fairbanks North Star Borough Parks & Recreation
Skip to nav
Tanana Lakes Recreation Area Rules
Violation or failure to comply with of any of these facility rules may result in restricted access to the facility or more serious action, up to and including police action.
Facility Hours - Summer Hours: 7 a.m. until 11 p.m. / Winter Hours: 7a.m. to 10 p.m. daily.
Rifle Range Hours: 8 a.m. until 10 p.m. daily/ Closed Wednesdays 8 a.m. until 10 a.m.
- No overnight camping.
- Please swim only in designated swimming areas because of extremely cold water conditions. Rules for swimming beach are posted. Do not swim immediately after meals and do not become over-exerted while swimming. There are no lifeguards. Swimming is AT YOUR OWN RISK.
- Due to public health risks no animals, except service animals are allowed in the swimming beach area. All animals must be on-leash and under the owner’s control at all times. Animal waste must be picked up and disposed of in provided trash receptacles.
- No glass bottles are allowed in the swimming area.
- Special permits are coordinated through the Parks and Recreation Office at 459-1070 for special activities, group gatherings, spectator attractions, etc.
- Visitors must leave the facility clean and orderly.
- Cushman Lake is closed to all aircraft and motorized boats.
- Music can only be played at a volume that does not infringe on other people’s enjoyment of the Park.
- Parking is allowed in designated spots only.
- No boats are to be within the buoys marking the swimming beach area.
- Everyone on board a watercraft within the recreation area must wear a personal flotation device at all times.
- No person shall knowingly emit a false drowning alarm.
- Fires are to be in designated sites only. Do not leave a fire unattended. Portable barbecue grills are allowed.
- No fireworks are allowed in the Park.
- The loading or discharge of firearms, bows or crossbows, are prohibited for public safety reasons anywhere in the recreation area, except at the outdoor shooting range. An exception is made for water fowl hunting in the facility per the following conditions:
- Water fowl hunters must comply with State and Federal hunting
- Only shotguns may be used for waterfowl Shotguns will not be larger than 12-gauge.
- Discharge of shotguns for waterfowl hunting must be more than 300 feet from an improved structure or facility (e.g. a pavilion, restroom, building, dock or boat launch).
- Water fowl hunters may not shoot from, on or across a road or trail.
- The setting of a steel trap or snare is prohibited for public safety reasons anywhere within 100 feet of a designated trail or roadway.
- Do not pick, cut, deface, remove or otherwise damage any flora, fauna, structure, or property in this Park. However, gathering berries or mushrooms for personal consumption, but not for sale or distribution, is allowed. Fines may be issued for property damage. If you find a lost or injured animal of any kind, do not pick it up, but inform a Park employee.
- Motor-driven scooters and cycles must conform to state licensing laws and their use will be confined to developed roadways. ATV usage in the Park is allowed only in designated areas.
- All local, state and federal laws apply within the Park.
- Police emergency services are provided by the Alaska State Troopers @ 451-5100. In an emergency, dial ‘911’. For general park information, call the FNSB Parks and Recreation office @ 459-1070.
- The borough Parks and Recreation department is not responsible for any lost or stolen items in or around the facility. It is strongly encouraged that all personal items be locked in a secure area.