The 2022-2023 Winter Trails Challenge has begun!
Anyone can participate, but you must register (FREE!) to claim prizes.
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER (FREE)
CLICK HERE FOR THE WINTER TRAIL GUIDE!
***UPDATE 1/14/2023: All signs are installed!!!***
Winter Trail Guide coming soon!
Winter Trails List:
1. Chena River Walk @ Griffin Park Downtown
2. Indoor Walking Track @ Big Dipper Ice Arena
3. Puffin Loop @ Pearl Creek Nordic Park
4. Skate Loop @ Tanana Lakes Recreation Area
5. Eagle Trail @ Tanana Lakes Recreation Area
6. River Park 4km Nature Trail @ Chena Lake Recreation Area
7. Mike Agbaba 12 Mile Loop @ Chena Lake Recreation Area
8. Tower Cutoff @ Birch Hill Recreation Area
9. Sunnyside Trail @ Birch Hill Recreation Area
10. Secret Trail @ Skyline Ridge Park
11. Beaver Springs Slough Nature Trail @ North Pole 5th Avenue Park
12. East Farm Field Loop @ Creamer’s Field Migratory Waterfowl Refuge
13. Smith Lake @ University of Alaska Fairbanks
14. 5km Loop @ Two Rivers
15. Skarland 12 Mile Ski Trail @ College Hills Subdivision
16. Salcha Nordic Ski Trails – Grizzly Loop
17. Upper Eldorado Creek Trail @ Goldstream Hills
18. Chena Hot Springs Winter Trail @ Fourmile Creek, Chena River State Rec Area
19. Compeau Trail @ Chena River State Rec Area
20. McKay Creek Trail @ White Mountains National Recreation Area
What is the Trails Challenge?
The Fairbanks Trails Challenge is an all-ages, all-abilities, outdoor scavenger hunt of epic proportions! The Trails Challenge is designed to get you out with your friends and family to explore our wonderful local trails, both new and familiar. Each summer and winter season, Parks Department staff temporarily installs special signs in secret locations along a dozen or so local trails. While the signs are up, we invite everyone to visit the trails and try and find the signs. Along the way we hope you have a chance to learn new skills, see new places, and make positive memories.
How do you take the Trails Challenge?
Anyone is allowed to participate in the search. When you find a sign, it's fun to prove you made it by taking a “selfie” photo with the sign and posting it on social media with the hashtag “#FNSBTrails." And of course, leave the sign to be found by the next trail challenge participant. Participants who find AT LEAST TEN signs during the event can win prizes from local sponsors and the coveted Trailblazer Award. Participants under the age of ten can find at least five signs to win the Junior Trailblazer Award, and seniors aged 60+ can find 5 to get win the Sourdough Trailblazer Award! To claim prizes, remember to register for the program and complete the trail checklist form. Whether you find one or find them all, challenge yourself to get outside and enjoy nature!
When can we take the Trails Challenge?
The Trails Office hosts two Fairbanks Trails Challenge events each year: a Winter Trails Challenge and a Summer Trails Challenge. The Winter Trails Challenge starts roughly in mid-December and lasts through March. The Summer Trails Challenge starts roughly in mid-June and lasts through September. Start and end dates fluctuate depending on weather and trail conditions. The signs stay in place for the season then are removed to be placed in new and different locations for the next challenge. So each season you are challenged to have a new adventure!
Get outside- Take the Fairbanks Trails Challenge!!!